Former strict import controls have been substantially liberalized as part of the Brazilian government's efforts to open the nation's economy to foreign competition. However, upon arrival to Brazil you must fill in a customs declaration according to the information below: The Customs regulations is controlled by the department of finance and economy, Receita Federal.
Following infromation is written in the declaration that you have to fill in, already in the aircraft, before landing Brazil:
Exempted Goods to Declare
# Books, magazines and periodicals;
# clothes and other personal articles for domestic or professional use or
# consumption, according to the purpose of his/her trip;
# others goods purchased abroad, in value up to US$500.00 in sea or air travel,
or up to US$150.00 in land, river or lake travels.
The value of goods exceeding the limits of exemption shall be subject of the import duty at the rate of 50%. There shall also be a payment of import duties, calculated on the total amount the goods of a traveler who has already benefited from the exemption, totally or partially, in the last thirty days.
The goods subject to payment of the import duty shall only be released through presentation of "Documento de Arrecadeção de Receitas Federais - DARF" (Federal Revenue Collection Document), validated by the bank.
Violations and Penalties
The traveler who presents false or inexact declaration is subject to a penalty of 50% calculated of the excess value of the exemption limit without prejudice of the due import duty. The undue option for the "Nothing to Declare" channel is considered as false declaration.
Restrictions and Prohibitions
• The exemption shall only be enjoyed once within a period of thirty days
• Goods which cannot be brought as baggage:
- Motor vehicles and motors for boats
- Goods in quantity and quality which may indicate any commercial or industrial use
• Good prohibited from entering Brazil:
- Toxic substances or drugs
- Alcoholic beverage and tobacco products when brought by people under 18
- Brazilian manufactured cigaren of exemption quotas is no permitted even in
the case of a couple
Regardless of any purchases made abroad, every passenger arriving in Brazil is allowed to buy merchandise free of customs duties up to US$500.00 at the Duty Free arrival stores, at the main Brazilian International Airports. Don't list, in the customs declaration, goods purchased at the Duty Free shops on arrival in Brazil.
Items in the Baggage/Customs Declaration:
1. Who has to declare - all travelers must present one declaration at the moment of arrival. For those under 16 years old, the declaration shall be filled in by the legal representative, or shall not be required for those traveling by themselves.
2. Personal data - Full name, Passport number or identity card, Date of birth, Country of origin, Means of transportation, Flight number, Address in Brazil.
3. Baggage contents - Are you bringing in your baggage:
a. Animals, seeds or plants? (yes/no)
b. Foodstuff or medicament (or drugs) subject to inspection?(yes/no)
c. Arms or ammunitions? (yes/no)
d. Effects which value is over US$3,000.00 for the purposes of application of temporary importation procedure? (yes/no)
e. Goods purchased abroad over US$500.00 (air or sea travel) or over US$150.00 (land, river or lake travel) for consumption purposes in Brazil? (yes/no)
If you have answered "yes" to any of the questions above, list the effects in a form. The form has the items; Quantity, List of goods (brand, model, serial number), Value in U$. If you have answered "yes" to question "e", collect the duty due, previously, at the bank cashier.
4. Carried currency - Are you carrying currency (money, checks or travelers checks) over US$5,000.00 or equivalent? (yes/no) If answered "yes" , fill out the Currency Carry-on Declaration (Form available at the Customs Control Office). If you filled out the form/table, List of Goods, or the Currency Carry-on Declaration, to the channel "Goods to Declare". If not, go to channel "Nothing to Declare".
OBS: Reservations for alterations in these forms...!